Starting an organizing blog? Get advice from the experts!
This page may contain links to Amazon.com or other sites from which I may receive commission on purchases you make after clicking on such links. Read my full Disclosure Policy
Everyone’s telling you that you need to start a blog to promote your organizing business. But when you begin to research what’s involved, most of the resources you find are geared towards blogging as a business model (as opposed to a marketing strategy) or for large organizations with a whole team dedicated to blogging.
I know how hard it can be to apply that information to a one-person service business, so a few months ago, I posted this question in the Blogging Organizers group:
If you could go back in time to when you started your blog, what would you tell yourself?
Group members shared some interesting insights, and you’ll find them helpful as you start or ramp up your blog.
- Have it as part of your website not on another separate blog site.
- Stick to the topic you know best!
- Even though you think you don’t have much to say, you’ll still be coming up with fresh ideas eight years later. So don’t worry about that!
- Work on SEO for each blog post.
- Be consistent. Write weekly no matter what.
- Start your email service provider immediately. Write to your email list weekly no matter what.
- I would not have started a newsletter in addition to what I was writing for my WordPress site.
- Don’t do things just because other bloggers do… do what makes sense for you.
For more answers to this question, read What I’ve Learned in my First 10 Years of Blogging, including the excellent comments.
I’d like to thank the following organizers for contributing to this discussion:
- Julie Stobbe of Mind over Clutter (blogger since 2013)
- Janet Schiesl of Basic Organization (blogger since 2010)
- Lisa Gessert of buzz (blogger since 2014)
- Hilda Rodgers of From Overwhelmed to Organized (blogger since 2012)
- Amy Slenker-Smith of Simply Enough (blogger since 2016)
- Lucy Kelly of Joyful Surroundings (blogger since 2015)
- Diane N. Quintana of DNQ Solutions (blogger since 2007)
Join the conversation
In the comments, please share the advice you’d give to someone who is just getting started with an organizing blog.
If you’d like to discuss blogging with other organizing and productivity pros, join Blogging Organizers – it’s free!
Photo © alphaspirit / depositphotos
A former professional organizer, I'm now a Website Design and Care Specialist. I love helping others succeed by sharing the knowledge and insight I’ve gained through marketing my own business for over 15 years! When I’m away from my desk, I enjoy reading, photography, watching movies, and cooking.